Development stopped?

I was wondering if there is still work on support for SG2000 and SG2002 stuff.
Seems there did not happen a lot since month. Still no real support for I/O and all the other stuff. Is it worth to think about using SG2000/SG2002 based boards or is it dead on arrival? Would be too sad since the solution seems to have huge potential. But without proper support, it’s unfortunately just a brick. Would really appreciate to know more about the road map / plan for the SW support of those boards / chips. Thanks a lot for a feedback in advance. Cheers, Alex

Addition:
I could not find a possibility to build and boot Embedded Linux from the integrated ARM core instead of the RISC-V core yet.
Is it possible? Will it come? And if so, when will it come? Would be great to know more about that

1 Like

Because it’s already mostly finished, see this: Mainline Status | Milk-V.

It’s all the same peripherals for all the duo serie, now it’s just the linux review and correction cycle before it’s mainlined (which tends to take a long time, some of the things on that page are still waiting on the reviews by the maintainers) and anything that uses up to date kernels will work, some of them are even already in the kernel due to using IPs, like the GPIOs which arent listed on that page because of that.

If you mean the buildroot, same answer, it’s mostly done, just bugfixes and additional features now, just use the right DTS, and SG2002 is called cv1812 in there.

Edit: and SG2000 (Duo S) is 1813

2 Likes

Wow, that’s sounds pretty good.
So using the chips for a new design is not a pitfall we are running into.
Does the mentioned things include building and booting from ARM core of the chips as well?
Sorry if I ask dumb questions, but I’m not that familiar with the build systems and it’s structure.
The chips we are using up to now were coming with a ready- to-use build system from the manufacturer. So dealing with it was pretty easy for us. Just download the package from their web site, putting it into a VM, doing some configurations and go for it. I had some problems to find something like that here, but maybe I’m to new on this or maybe just to dumb :slight_smile:
Going to investigate more and find a starting point for us… probably I will come back with questions at the end. Sorry for that.
Thanks a lot anyway for your answer before.
Cheers Alex

1 Like

All you need is the builtroot Introduction | Milk-V and the tools required by it, then it’s just running the scripts.
The documentation (as well as datasheets) are pretty good, use them.
Later when it’s all mainlined it will be as easy as compiling a regular linux OS for a mainstream system (say, like for a orange pi pc for example)

I think you just have to look in the buildroot for using the ARM core, both the riscv and arm core share the same bus system, that’s both how riscv stuffs got brought so quick into actual use and also how they’re able to have both ARM and RISCV cores on there: it’s the same hardware sitting next to the cores, so the same DTS tree with very little changes. Also take a look at this: duo-buildroot-sdk/build/boards/default/dts/cv181x_arm at develop · milkv-duo/duo-buildroot-sdk · GitHub, which should provide a direct answer.

1 Like

Thanks a lot. I gonna to try my luck!

1 Like

also there is a more up to date mainling tracker there: Home · sophgo/linux Wiki · GitHub

1 Like

@Vdragon In the links you provided (sophgo’s giithub and milk.io pages) I haven’t found anything about video encoder/ISP/Mipi etc on mainline support status. Maybe you know if there are any plans to put those components to mainline ?

I took a good look and couldnt find them, there is bindings for everything of that in the buildroot but they dont seem to point to anything, there is related software in the middleware folder, the source seems to be there: GitHub - sophgo/middleware: multimedia libs for cv18xx series soc. , and it seems it is expected to use those devices via kernel modules using the software in that middleware folder.