- Yes, I am fully aware that the board was never designed to do this, but it can be done!
- Haven’t decided yet. Purely just was curious to see if it would work, and it does
- It boots successfully
- Serial console with
- Networking works
- USB works
- Kernel modules load/unload successfully
emerge takes a ridiculously long time
- 12G swap partition was added to the SD card, because 64MB of RAM was nowhere near enough to run
distcc took 5 hours to compile on the board
- The kernel panics occasionally, and am slowly working out why (and patching)
Happy to share an
openrc image if anyone else is interested. Would also love for anyone else to contribute
I will upload a disk image as soon as I have worked out a few things.
I have built
sys-apps/usbutils successfully (and all accompanying libraries) on the board, even though it took weeks…
chronyd is able to successfully sync the clock from an NTP server when started as an
openrc service on boot
dhcpcd is able to function as expected (mostly…), however because currently only one core is available to the kernel, everything else comes to a complete stop and the entire chip becomes unresponsive until
dhcpcd has completed acquiring its lease.
With all this said, this board seems to only really be good for one thing at a time, but I can definitely see good use cases for what I am doing.
gcc needs to be able to compile successfully without a kernel panic
- At the moment it panics at
checking for inflate in -lz... in most builds
- This is unfortunate because I am yet to build
distcc successfully, which I so desperately need…
- It runs out of memory and/or hangs whenever
-pipe or any
O optimisations are put into the
- Slowly working through fine-tuning these…
- I’m looking for a way to force it to use swap over RAM, especially for compiling/linking
- Still working on U-Boot without a FIT image, similar to other SBCs
- Would allow for hotswapping kernel, initramfs (although a very tiny one), GRUB, and better kernel debugging
If anyone has already achieved these, please let me know. I’d love to incorporate it into the image for maximum flexibility.
I will also need to figure out how to make the image as small as possible. Gentoo isn’t exactly designed for this type of distributing, and 64GB is ridiculously gigantic for a disk image…
But I promise I will upload something very soon