[Troubleshooting] MilkV Duo Status Light Blinks But Not Showing Up in Device Manager

Hello all!

I purchased a MilkV Duo not too long ago, flashed the image with Balena Etcher, and connected the device via USB-C to my computer (it is a USB A to USB C cable, if that makes a difference). The power light comes on (red, solid) and about 10 seconds later, the status light (blue, blinking) also comes on. It seems to be working, but when I look at Device Manager on Windows 10, there is no detected devices. If I disconnect the Duo, there is no change to the detected devices.

I also tried on Ubuntu–dmesg does not show any RNDIS entries or any entries with “usb0” as the documentation points out.

Is there anything I may be doing wrong? Or is it likely a dead USB interface on the board? Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

You can try replacing the USB cable to test. Some cables only have power supply functionality and lack data transmission functionality.

I have the same problem, the cable that I’m using is the right one.
Over the UART PIN 16/17 I can see that the device is booting up and root prompt is showing up.

I purchased the duo with the cable included and I also had a problem where the network was not seen over the cable and no device appeared under “other” in Device Manager. I did think it odd that the USB-c connector did not seem to seat all the way in the duo receptacle. It just didn’t seem to mate all the way in as you would expect.

The problem ended up being just that. In my over-cautious approach to only applying firm but limited force, I had not fully inserted the cable into the duo. The power LED was on and the lights blinked, but no connection. Applying a bit more firm pressure while carefully providing a little “wiggle” (technical term) and the USB-c male end of the cable snapped into the duo – problem solved.

But, in 57 years of connecting all types of devices – this connection did take quite a bit more effort than most. It worried me, but the fit was indeed just that firm or the snap/tensioning detent that is built into the connector may have been stiffer than most for the initial plug-in. Works like a champ now.

Finesse rather than force saves many unfortunate outcomes…

1 Like

I have never heard of such a thing and specially when speaking of USB-C connection. The action you are explaining will conduct in breading the connector from the board.

Well, as a Registered Professional Engineer (Aero/Mechanical), I can assure you the amount of force and wiggle needed were in fact required and well within the tolerances expected. I’m not sure where you are drawing your speculative “breading[sic] the connector from the board” from – but there was no mention of getting a “bigger hammer” in my post – so the connector should be quite safe :)

1 Like

I have a slightly different problem.

I am running the image milkv-duo256m-v1.1.1-2024-0528.img.
It works fine plugged into my Ubuntu machine.
I can ssh root@192.168.42.1 using RNDIS just fine.

When I plug it into my Windows 11 Pro machine, I can see the RNDIS driver in the Other devices location.
But when I try to update the driver using the RNDIS_drivers_20231018 files, I get:
Windows was unable to install your RNDIS

Is this an incompatibility between the image and the drivers?
Or an incompatibility between Windows 11 Pro and the drivers?

I compared the INF file with the template Windows provides for RNDIS, and there are a few differences.

What drivers are other Windows 11 users using?

I’m on Windows 11 Pro and using Milk-V Duo S, I choosed driver in device manager and it shows up as RNDIS device, I don’t have any problems.

Thanks!
That narrows things down a bit.
What drivers were you using?

Just followed tutorial, right clicked, update driver, manually, choose from list, Microsoft, basic RNDIS USB driver or something like that, did not downloaded any drivers from internet.

That was what I needed.
Perhaps someone should remove the drivers that didn’t work.
I thought I was following directions.
But it is working for me now.