What is the purpose of the unpopulated pads on the IO board?

I have noticed that there are a great deal of unpopulated pads on the ethernet IO board. What is the purpose of these? Are they something that I as an end user can make use of?

Thank you

2 Likes

Hi @TheMysteryStache

I received mine today and was wondering the same.

Hoping the 14 pin header that’s unpopulated might expose some unassigned GPIOs, I’ve had a probe about, but aside from pins 5 & 6 which are GND, the others have no connectivity to the GPIOs on the DUO’s socket.

The unpopulated diode pads on the underside of the board mostly have GND at their anodes which might be part of some protection circuitry. So pure speculation, but it’s possible that’s all for adding Power Over Ethernet?

I’m hopeful there’s more positive news for you from others…

Cheers, Geoff

1 Like

CANBUS, RS485, RS232 stuffs, as well as PoE stuffs (we can see 2 emplacement for isolators things?)
There is also a alternative nand SD thing slot on the middle left, and i think that’s all.

2 Likes

Solder SPI NOR Flash onto the IOB and you can boot any attached Duo without any SD Card.

1 Like

The 4 pin serial header is direct to UART_4 on GP2 & GP3 which could be interesting.

I’ve ordered a Nextion display to hopefully control from the small core via that header. It appears the RX & TX markings on mine are reversed (or show what to connect TO rather than the UART assignments)

Cheers, Geoff

1 Like

Very interested in the CANBUS functionality, but it looks like the supply to the XL1050 chip they put in the datasheet is actually 3.3V when the chip requires 5 (Had the exact same issue with a different board for a different project). Gonna have to solder in something pin compatible it seems

1 Like

My Duo and camera order was cancelled by Aliexpress, so have more of a wait.

For those of you who have the Duo to plug into the IOboard, Is there anywhere on the IOboard that 5V from the USB is available to tap off?

Thanks
Geoff

No. Looking at schematic v1.11 the 5V is only accessible from the ports on the USB Hub.

1 Like