Introducing the Milk-V Oasis with SG2380: A Revolutionary RISC-V Desktop Experience

Just a quick question on the “pre order coupon”, is that good for only one unit? Do I have to buy a coupon for every unit I intend on ordering?

Also, Q3 is coming up quick, are we still on track for Q3 delivery?

Thanks!

1 Like

Found this on reddit, I thought that I would see it here first:
Q Is there ETA for Oasis?
A Expected to be Q4 2024

2 Likes

When I clicked on the link for the sg2380 chip, I noticed this image for the “Development Hardware” (at bottom of the page).

Is this a render of a server board ? Or is it how the Milk-V Oasis is currently, or was previously, expected to look ?

EDIT: Is that two UDE (Unidirectional Ethernet) ports, the far side of the 2.5 Gigabit Ethernet ports or are they possibly for some kind of dual/redundant remote management ports e.g a OOB(Out-of-band management)/BMC (Baseboard Management Controllers)/LOM (Lights Out Management)/ILo(Integrated Lights-Out) - so that the machine can be fully installed remotely once the management computer has a working IP address.

And is that four SFP (Small Form-factor Pluggable) sockets beyond that (e.g. for a 25Gbit/sec SFP28 transceiver or maybe four 6.144 Gbit/sec Common Public Radio Interface/Open Base Station Architecture Initiative SPF+ Optical Transceivers) ?

3 Likes

This looks a lot more like what has been shown for the Jupiter.

The PCIe slot matches but that is about it.
(ref: Milk-V Jupiter: RISC-V PC for Everyone )

EDIT: And the Jupiter looks to be a larger motherboard. In the above image the PCIe slot is in the middle for the Jupiter board it is on the left side of the board.

yeah true, it’s significantly different to any version of the Oasis we’ve been shown either.
If it is the Oasis it looks pretty good!

I wish we had some kind of update from Milk-V staff, and not second hand info from reddit :confused:

2 Likes

If you look who PlatimaZero on reddit (probably @Platima) quote as their source here (@hoka). And then who is posting the images of the Jupiter board (link in my previous post above). I would say that if the information was wrong some of the other Milk-V staff would have corrected it by now. :smiley:

2 Likes

Oh I’m super familiar with Platima, I’m a fellow aussie tinkerer :sweat_smile: I definitely trust them.
It’s more the fact we have to hear updates secondhand from them through reddit, not sure why that info wasnt posted in this very thread by staff.
It was supposed to be shipping Q3, so for them to know it is now shipping Q4 and not update everyone here is kinda weird is all :person_shrugging:

2 Likes

Yep that’s me - and I have no idea who was posting the pics! @hoka also won’t tell me yet which SOC is used :laughing:

3 Likes

:wave:

Makes for some viral marketing within the community I guess?

4 Likes

How? Having to create a new DTB for each chip/board requires both waiting for that and any adjacent drivers. I saw this when trying to port UBPorts to the Razer Phone 2; it was a nightmare and I eventually gave up. A very finicky project with libhybris and whatnot…

Agreed. I noticed the link show up on r/RISCV way before I got any new email notification for the thread here. Thats…a little weird. Thought this thread was precisely for those updates and information o.o

Also, different question: I am taking notes for what kind of server case I need (2U, 3U?) to fit proper cooling inside. So, what is the mounting situation? Is there any details aobut what coolers I can put on there? I have a BeQuiet Shadow Rock LP here which seems to be a pretty good fit - and it’s low profile might be helpful too. Would be nice to know what to look out for in this case. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Having to create a new DTB for each chip/board

You have to do that with ACPI anyways.

requires both waiting for that and any adjacent drivers.

That isn’t an inherent problem with DTBs, but rather the fact that it is currently acceptable to ship non-working devices. Chinese computer makers ship broken or incomplete ACPI tables all the time. Hell, even a lot of mainstream products have broken entries, which requires workarounds in the kernel.

2 Likes

One of the staff said earlier in the thread that it will use the LGA 1151/1200 mount, and should be pretty low power so low profile HS should be fine, but that was posted a while ago, not sure if that’s changed at all, I’m hoping that is still the case, I’m planning a build around that :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I found this https://sg2380.org/ on reddit. The most interesting part for me was the comparison section where the Memory Bus Width and Memory Bandwidth (GB/s) of the SG2380 was shown in relation to the Apple M3, AMD Ryzen 7 8840HS, Intel Core Ultra 7 155H and Qualcomm Snapdragon X Elite.

1 Like

When?
Almost 10 months passed

There was delays on the SG2380 tapeout, so the last unofficial/official update we saw was nearly a month ago.

Just for perspective: The Oasis promises about 20 TOPS, the Hailo-8 26 TOPS, whereas the RTX 4090 offers 1321 TOPS. Just as a reminder not to get too hyped-up by the promises.

3 Likes

The Oasis promises about 20 TOPS

Currently the SG2380 advertises 32TOPS INT8 and 16TOPS FP16 on it’s TPU

RTX 4090 offers 1321 TOPS.

I couldn’t find anything to quantify this number against, since NVIDIA lists this number as “AI TOPS”, and I can’t find a single benchmark that yields a number this high. Some websites put the 4090 in the low hundreds of TOPS for INT8, whereas others put it as high as 660. I would treat any generic numbers like these with a large degree of skepticism, as at the end of day these are only, at best, theoretical values.
It’s also important to remember that the RTX 4090 is about 10x more expensive.

3 Likes

Yes, you are right, it is hard to find definitive data and benchmarks. The 1321 number is also stated just for INT4. But the numbers for the other hardware are also just promises, so can be even less taken for granted. I am sure the Oasis will be a nice and capable inexpensive board. But, reading some forum posts here, you could get the idea that the availability of the Oasis will revolutionize AI. People are planning to invest in huge amounts of memory, want to replace workstations and servers with the Oasis. They expect to receive better performance than from currently available hardware and a software ecosystem that just works out of the box. I just think you should be well-informed what you will get. Otherwise, it will be a rough landing once you hold your hardware in your hands.

1 Like

A possibility to have a personal LLM “AI assistant” in an Intel NUC form factor instead of a huge loud power-hungry ATX tower will definitely be a revolution, even if it would produce 5 tps instead of 100.

3 Likes