Milk-V Jupiter: RISC-V PC for Everyone

10 Likes

8 Likes

Looks interesting!
When can we expect to know more about it?

1 Like

2024-04-11 on the Official twitter for MilkV there was an image of a ESWIN development board.

Then 2024-04-12 on the Official twitter for MilkV there was a video showing a the same board in action - a ESWIN EIC7700, 4x P550 from SiFive, ImaginationTech ( AXM-8-256 ) GPU, 10 Tops NPU, PCIe, SATA. The Big Buck Bunny video is playing, someone is actively playing SuperTuxKart, with htop showing resource usage (~56% CPU, ~1GB out of 16GB RAM) and a web browser is open in the wayland windows manager.

So I am going connect the dots and guess that the Milk-V Jupiter is probably going to be based around one of the ESWIN RISC-V SoC’s (I could be wrong).

EDIT: If you rotate the preliminary images of the SiFive hifive premier p550 board, although the positioning is slightly different it has 8 edge connections on one side of the board and the Milk-V Jupiter shown above also has 8 edge connectors on one side of the board. Both boards have one PCIe slot and one NVMe slot. And since the SiFive hifive premier p550 board will use a Eswin EIC7700, it would be an indication that maybe if the Milk-V Jupiter does use the same, or similar, ESWIN compute module it would support similar features. It is probably the same, or similar, board form factor as the SiFive hifive premier p550 board.

SoC

• Eswin EIC7700 SoC featuring a quad-core SiFive Performance P550 core complex

Memory and Storage

• Up to 32GB 64bit LPDDR4 / 4x / 5
  • eMMc 5.1
  • 2 × SDIO 3.0
  • SATA3 (6Gb/s)
  • SPI NOR Flash

Networking

• Dual Gigabit Ethernet Port

User I/O

• 2 × USB 3.0 with DRD ( Host + Device ),compatible with USB2.0

Expansion Capabilities

• Express Gen3 4× Lanes. Dual modes ( RC + EP )
  • M.2 E-Key Slot (PCIe Gen 3) for Wi-Fi/Bluetooth Module

Board Form Factor

• Industry standard miniDTX (203 mm Long x 170 mm Wide)

I’m also going to guess that the above, or a very similar specification will be announced at, or just before, the RISC-V SUMMITEU event 2024-06-24 to 2024-06-28 in Munich, Germany where ESWIN will be presenting details of their EIC7700X edge computing SoC.

I was wrong!

2 Likes

Sorry, to break the suspense.

However, it seems the CPU is the SpacemiT Key Stone K1. Regarding their Git kernel repository, there is a milkv-jupiter.dts file in the arch/riscv/boot/dts/spacemit directory.

https://gitee.com/bianbu-linux/linux-6.1/tree/bl-v1.0.y/arch/riscv/boot/dts/spacemit

2 Likes

Lots of interesting info there:
12 volt

2 LED’s

• power on
  • ssd disk-activity

2 UART

HDMI

sound everest es8316

2x gigabit ethernet

SD
SDIO
eMMc

usb3hub

pcie1 Root complex
pcie2 Root complex

qspi

1 Like

Well since the Jupiter does appear to be larger than mini-itx compared to the Oasis, there would be more room on the motherboard which means the feasibility to go with the compute module form factor for the SoC, like the Mars CM. Then the processor would be swappable. That could explain why there are hints to the Eswin EIC7700 as well as Spacemit K1 too if Milk-V is in talks with the different vendors to test and produce various compute modules. Imagine the flexibility that you are used to in the x64 DIY PC space where you are able to choose every single component, brought into the SBC world. Heck Milk-V could even offer the existing 64-core Sopho SG2042 CM which would be very enticing depending on price! So everyone could be right about the SoC. :wink:

Also on the same note regarding form factor, hopefully the Jupiter is actually full size DTX instead of mini. Then most existing ATX computer cases which are more common, could be used without much modding which would be nice.

2 Likes

Images posted here. x.com

I am Manjaro Linux dev who have been working on aarch64 for long time.

We have Manjaro Riscv but been waiting for a decent hardware to be available.

Let me know who should I contact for dev kits.

Regards.

2 Likes

“SpacemiT Key Stone K1 Powered by Spacemit M1/K1 Octa-Core #RISCV M iniITX RVA22 RVV1.0” images at:
https://x.com/milkv_official/status/1806620780119339463?s=46

(Available to be) “order(ed) next week” - at a guess. https://old.reddit.com/r/RISCV/comments/1dqfvht/milkv_milkv_official_on_x/

EDIT: Technical specification can be found here https://milkv.io/jupiter. At a guess the links to buy here (currently all “Shipping To China”) will be updated next week to include the rest of the world.

2 Likes

This was announced less then a month ago and we already have official pictures of it, and links for buying, but the Oasis was annouced last year and all new info and coms on it have gone completely silent, whats up with that? Has focus shifted to this board?

1 Like

It takes about 6 months to 2 years in going from wanting something to exist in silicon to it existing as a chip that you can hold in your hand. That is the delay on the Milk-V Oasis, waiting on the SG2380 to exist.

This board is taking a preexisting chip made by SpacemiT and building a board around it, which again takes time but not as long. And if SpacemiT take on the task of supporting the software side of the board, that can reduce the time as well.

1 Like

Yes this makes sense.

Now they need to make sure they upstream the board support so all other distros can make use of it.

Also trying to use latest uboot with efi support, best would be to provide uboot with graphically output on spi with efi support.

1 Like

https://x.com/MilkV_Official/status/1807730994407252182?s=19

Any reason no one is updating this thread with latest updates?

1 Like

Hi!

Is there any difference between K1 and M1 besides the package?

Thanks in advance.

1 Like

at the moment it seems the amount of total RAM offered

3 Likes

M1 is higher clock version of K1.
However, M1’s frequency is not known at the time.
I hope it’s clocked to 2000MHz or more.

2 Likes

I’m somewhat interested in the board, might grab one to play with until the Oasis ships.
Anyone know what heatsink mount that is? some kind of laptop cooler mount or?

1 Like

yes, it would help if they offer the compatible heatsink suited to the board at same time as pre-order

or alternative that would fit

1 Like

Speed reading the m1-x_milkv-jupiter.dts and the k1-x_milkv-jupiter.dts device tree source files, the two files are currently identical except for one line that says either model = "Milk-V(M1) Jupiter"; or model = "Milk-V Jupiter";. The default clock frequency for both boards is listed as 24,000,000 Hz!

But then in k1-x.dtsi which is used by both the M1 and K1 specifies that the allowed frequency of operation are:
1,600,000,000Hz; 1,228,800,000Hz; 1,000,000,000; 819,000,000Hz; 614,400,000Hz

I’m not saying that they can not be tweaked higher, or lower, later on, I’m just saying what is currently there.

2 Likes

@hoka do you know if the pre order unit comes with a cooling solution? If not do you know what type of heatsink will fit?

1 Like